Please be careful if you go to Tripler Army Medical Center:
Hospital cases end tragically
Tina Long, 26 and pregnant, was admitted to Tripler Army Medical Center in April, complaining of headaches, vision problems and swelling. Her blood pressure was elevated and she had protein in her urine. All were symptoms of a potentially serious disorder called preeclampsia.
The hospital ran tests on Long, who was 8 1/2 months along, then placed her in a room without monitoring her closely, her family says.
About 90 minutes after someone from the nursing station last spoke to Long via a speaker system, she was discovered unresponsive in her bed. Resuscitation efforts failed, and Long and her unborn baby, Hunter, were pronounced dead, according to the autopsy report.
Two months later, a newborn boy, Romi're Dupuy, experienced respiratory problems at Tripler, prompting medical personnel to place a breathing tube down his throat. But instead of maneuvering the tube through the trachea, a doctor mistakenly guided it into the esophagus, which leads to the stomach, puncturing that passageway and causing serious injury, the family said. Romi're spent more than two months in the hospital recovering.
Both cases happened several months after a Tripler physician in January 2005 mistakenly gave a newborn baby, Izzy Peterson, carbon dioxide instead of oxygen almost immediately after his birth. The baby inhaled the wrong gas for more than 40 minutes before the error was discovered. He nearly suffocated and suffered permanent brain damage.
In all three cases, the families are pursuing medical malpractice claims or lawsuits, seeking compensation for what they allege was substandard care at Tripler.
Seen at http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060205/NEWS01/602050348